Monday, October 17, 2011

Tonight..


Tonight it's hard to calm my thoughts...

Short version:
I've been stepping out of my comfort zone and am trying to return to it, so
I fired my kiln today and wrote a simple poem.


Long version:
These past 11 days I've been caught up in a whirlwind. The Occupy Wall Street movement and a Global show of support- planned for Oct 15/11. I thought I'd help get the word out about it, and see if our Community was wanting to participate in this worldwide event.
Occupy Nelson was created by an expanding group of concerned people...but there were many things that needed to be done... without knowing if 20 people, or 200 would show up for this event. There was one week to organize.
The event was an amazing success, and where it goes from here I don't know. (I'll write a separate blog about it, but there's some photos here.)

I've been busy helping to get the word out. Reading, learning, talking, Twittering, Facebooking, etc... But being an "activist" is not my nature. If you know me at all, you understand that. Wherever there's a crowd, I'm usually quietly, headed the other way, so it wasn't easy for me to be a part of this. Here it is Monday and my head's still buzzing, with a different kind of energy, thoughts, questions ...


3 pieces from the decal firing.
I'm finding it hard to get back into my calm, creative place, so last night I decided to prepare to do a firing. I had promised someone I'd fire a decal on a vase for her, so I went through my stash of ceramic decals and gathered together some of my plain white dishes so I'd have more items to fire.
Decals are easy to apply, but the ones I have are about 20 yrs old and I wonder if they'd still work ok.
It's a sparse load, of 4 mugs, a plate and a vase, but the vase is the important piece.(See the photo).
It was very dark when I went out to the shop (to unplug the peek holes and flip the breaker off.) As I write, I'm wondering how it turned out, but they have to cool slowly, so I can't open the kiln until the morning.
Walking back to the house, I stopped to enjoy the cool, quiet, night and gaze at the dark, clear sky and this poem came to me, so I thought I'd share it...

Tonight...
I looked at the night sky
and saw a star.
It made me wonder...
the longer I looked,
the more I saw.
It made me wonder...
even more.



2 comments:

Z is for Ramble said...

Ahh, sounds lovely...hard, but lovely...I just got connected with an Occupy group in CT where I live...Dunno what Im gonna do with that yet- i was thinking of having them come in and talk to my class...

I like pottery too. Im in my second class for it right now and I just love the feel of the clay- the quiet of the studio when i'm there alone outside of class- And its just a great way for me to put my creative energy to work. I'd love to have my own kiln one day when we dont live in an apartment. :)

Angie said...

Thanks for your comments.
Creating and having a quiet studio to work in is great, and therapeutic too.
Hope you're learning how to operate a kiln too, it'll help if you eventually do get one :)